Work-in-progress Balance Changes - Clash Royale December 2022 (Season 42)

Phoenix nerf is 100% deserved, and quite frankly has been LONG overdue. The fact that it didn’t die to lightning before this patch is an absolute joke. Now lightning hard-counters, and in general Phoenix is more manageable. I still think a bit of a hitspeed nerf is still in order, but this is a huge step in the right direction.

As for the other card that desperately needs a nerf…this isn’t enough. Sure, raising Monk’s cost from 4 to 5 makes it harder to outright cycle him, but considering you can just monk in the back anyway it doesn’t change the main problematic interaction, which is his downright unfair ability. He should not just be effectively invincible to all damage for 4 seconds. Instead, his ability should make him immune to projectiles, but damage resistance to all other forms of damage (namely melee and beam attacks like Inferno/Tesla/Zappies) should be greatly reduced, if not eliminated. Him being able to just brush off PEKKA and even maxxed inferno beams for 4 seconds for just 1 elixir is so unfair. If Monk during ability could actually die to stuff like Pekka, it makes his ability counterable, similar to how Queen can still die to spells like lightning when she’s cloaked.

The MM buff is interesting. Increasing his movement speed makes him so much more threatening on offense, and probably makes his lane-swapping ability much more effective as a by-product. If Monk continues to be overused in spite of the proposed nerf to him though (spoiler alert, he probably will still be overused to death), MM may still be dead since Monk super-hard counters him since the knockback from his combo interrupts MM’s damage source.

Minions of all kinds have felt pretty much useless in recent times, especially minion horde since so many different things can super-hard counter it for very positive trades. Horde’s space increase means it won’t just instantly die to all kinds of splash, which means it may get some love in a number of people’s decks. I like it.

The rage rework…why? Why does rage deal damage, and especially more damage than zap and snowball? A 2 elixir card that clears swarms while ALSO giving your troops an attack buff? That has “broken” written all over it. That’s Rage+Ebarbs with a built-in log in the form of rage. Just no. At the very least make the damage equivalent to freeze at most. It should NOT be able to kill goblins.

I don’t think this is a popular opinion, but I like the goblin hut change. Making the spear gobs come out in groups of 3 makes splash more efective against them, particularly princess. It’ll be more threatening if ignored, but countering seems like it’ll be less tedious than if the hut just spewed a constant stream of spear gobs.

If the dev team really wants to somehow change rage spell rethink it in a different manner. Like nerfing other cards overused due to rage spell. Like nerf e barbs dmg, nerf egolems health. Or make rage spell bigger radius but only worth 6 seconds remove the damage idea or make a rage spirit instead that is counterable by log and barb barrel.

battle healer needs a nerf. The phoenix nerf isn’t enough to stop egolem ewiz battle healer players from spamming. Because not everyone is using lightning and lightning also cost 6 elixer and will not fully counter all cards. If you play ranked then most players are using that deck to spam and really think battle healer needs the nerf. Once the opponent places 2 battle healers in overtime it’s almost impossible to defend because they are going to keep spamming.

2 Likes

Rage is going to be a barbarian barrel that can be deployed anywhere in the arena, do knock back, hit air and boost your troops. It will be broken.

1 Like

Rage buff is terrible. I’m not sure what Supercell is thinking. Honestly, I hope that they institute the damage over time, because otherwise this is game-breaking.

Rage spell rework isn’t terrible, but they need to reduce the knockback, as well as making the damage occur over the whole 6 seconds, rather than all at once. Make it similar to poison in that regard

I love that we all seem to want a graveyard nerf, but nobody is talking about miner rage. Like for real, it will be better than miner poison, except you can throw a rocket right after because instead of poison, rage is a small spell and only costs 2 elixir. Miner rage is going to be op

I’ve read several comments throughout this thread so far and I realize I should most definitely include my own input coming from a highly experienced player.

I’ll be addressing each card individually more or less; depending how beneficial/or problematic I see the change being.

Goblin Hut (Rework):
First off I just want to credit (as well as explain) this first ever “spawn interval” change, specifically to a spawner unit at least. Basically what this means, like many group/swarm cards in the game’s past, is that unlike how Tombstone and Barbarian Hut operate currently, where each individual troop follows right behind the previous spawned, each Spear Goblin will take 0.5 seconds after the previous to spawn from the Hut. In terms of interactions, I think this is a major buff vs splash & instant area effect. For instance against a Baby Dragon, normally when the Hut dies and the Spear Gobs all spawn close together they make 1 easy grouped up target to all get killed in 1 shot, however the delay means that the 1st will die and 2 more will periodically spawn to soak up another hit as well as get a shot or two in. I love this change and think it should be implemented for Barb Hut to be more effective against ground splash units like Dark Prince who won’t be able to charge splash all spawned troops immediately and only splash 1/3 or maybe 2/3 total which in the grand scheme of things does matter. As for 3 spawning at a time and the lifetime decrease, I worry that splash units will actually end up getting more value against the building because of this and further end up nerfing a poor building, I’m not sure if 2 per spawn might be a sweet spot or if 3 will actually be a good change, and for that there’s only one way to find out. I would also argue that a 5 elixir spawner and 4 elixir spawner should not have the same amount of hp, if it’s unreasonable to buff the hp of this card then at least nerf Furnace’s hp to make the hp per elixir value make more sense.

Rage (Rework):
I absolutely do not want Rage to become another busted meta card. What ever happened to the intended plan of creating Rage Spirit? Similar to how Heal was reworked into a Spirit, there was even talk about how Clone could possibly be given the same treatment although that is a much trickier mechanic to balance and I don’t want to get off topic. I was genuinely excited for Rage Spirit to become a thing but abandoning that idea and attempting to make Rage one if not the most broken spell in the game would be an understatement to label this decision as disappointing. It would be ridiculous to have basically a hybrid of both Log & Snowball PLUS give the Rage effect for 2 elixir. If anything with these changes it should have more stat increases and be 3 elixir. However if this is truly the direction the balancing team wants to go in then I suggest lowering the damage to the same as Freeze (thus still providing utility but not making it an overpowered replacement for a majority of the other small spells). This would still make the card a very good utility spell that could be used in a variety more different decks without it being absolutely undoubtedly abused. The radius decrease and pushback effects are seemingly perfect and I wouldn’t change those aspects of the balance unless proven problematic. The duration decrease however does seem relatively short and I honestly would see it being more viable with around a 7.5s duration instead especially with the area decrease.

Lumberjack (Affected with Rage rework):
Again if Rage is op so will be Lumberjack and that means a meta of Rage + Lumberjack Mirror which just sounds torturous. However if Rage is actually balanced then Lumberjack will most certainly will weak and unviable, his Rage drop ability is the only thing he is used for and with a “weaker” Rage spell there would be almost no reason to use him over Mini Pekka, so depending on the future of Rage spell he should definitely be given stat buffs to encourage more usage.

Mighty Miner (Buff):
The speed increase is a very interesting idea to say the least… I will openly admit that although I am a huge fan of this card and support a substantial improvement in his ability, I’m not entirely sure what this will actually effect in the big picture. For instance Cannon Cart going from Fast to Medium speed wasn’t necessarily a nerf and in some circumstances it was actually a buff for defensive utility/elixir investment. Placing a Cart in the back used to be a poor investment because it would reach the river too quickly and be an easy 5 elixir target to get rid of unsupported. However it was also much better offensively as similar to Dart Goblin it has a good range and (historically) fast movement speed so it took much more reaction to catch it from connecting to your tower. Therefore I am intrigued how this change will play out with MM, but I am just hoping that it is not an unintended nerf for his great defensive utility, I feel that he should stay as a great defense like Inferno Tower and Inferno Dragon without being too obnoxious of an offensive threat that is at the same time easily distracted/reset.

Minions + Horde (Buff):
Finally! It’s about time another unloved card got some nurture from parent Supercell, and although I strongly dislike Horde I am excited and happy for these underwhelming cards to be more viable especially compared to the other stronger or cheaper air units currently. (Also API mentions a Mega Minion buff too but there isn’t actually one, I would totally advocate for a small Mega Minion buff alongside these changes)

Phoenix (Nerf):
You’re focusing on the hp? Although the card is undeniably the best in the game and literally any nerf is good for the health of the game, I don’t think it’s the right move. Clearly the issue with the card is its absurd damage potential, and I would seriously consider making her either 2 shot Goblins plus removing the death damage OR just straight up increase the hit speed from 0.9s > 1.1s.

Monk (Nerf):
I’m very close to begging for this change to not be applied due to how overwhelmed it is. I will keep this one the shortest due to the large repetition from others, but please I do agree with targeting his ability and not his troop elixir cost, make the ability 2 elixir or reduce his damage reduction and/or ability duration and/or (and this is my personal favorite) implement a client update that makes his damage reduction match the reflection of projectiles that hit him, in other words if his damage reduction is 80% then his target should only take 80% of the damage back and so forth.

Cheers to everyone on this forum helping wish for the best outcome with these changes. Happy Clashing!

Honestly I think that they should nerf the phoenix such that the damage and kncokback from its death. Also they should probably nerf the monk ability to be 2 elixir

The problem with the rage buff is that it kill goblins so now goblin barrel is obsolete cuz a widespread rage just avoids most tricky barrels as well so they should tone the buff down

Can we atleast get a small 2.25% damage buff for Barbarian Barrel so it can catch with Log in use rates

Level 6: 151 damage > 154 damage;
Level 11: 241 > 246 damage;
Level 14: 320 damage> 327 damage

1 Like

Don’t nerf phoenix please and don’t buff mighty miner.no one can control him if he will fast😥

Mighty Miner needs a bit of health increase not a movement speed increase. His main ability is getting higher damage over time but what if his health is too low that he dies quickly and he cant charge up. That is the main problem about MM not the movement speed. To fix it it may get a %6/7 healht increase so it will be not OP like the old MM but not useless like now.

1 Like

5 Elixir Monk is not a great idea it can heavily kill the card. Otherwise Monk should get a ability nerf. His damage reduction should be %50/60 his reflection damage should be same as the damage reduction like he is getting %20 of the damage and reverses %80 of the damage to the troop. That way he will be more balanced and wont able to kill the cards who is hitting him.

Rage is going to be one of the most OP cards in the game. What really needs to happen is keeping it a fixed duration like it says, but no damage. The Rage is supposed to deal damage through troops, not by itself. The knockback is a good idea, and when you upgrade it, you can increase the knockback, kind of like a no damage Log.

MM change is actually a nerf to 3 card cycle. If his movement speed is increased he can go die quickly. He is a defensive card so the movement speed increase can be a nerf to him.

1 Like

Ram Rider needs an 8% health buff and an immunity to knockback effects (except the Log and the Monk’s final hit of attack.)

1 Like

Rage will do more damage than the snowball and zap? This will make it even better than log because of the still minimal knockback and the ability to target air, can’t wait to abuse

Looks good on the reworkq and buffs and nerfs. Now need to nerd Exilir Golem and Mega Knight.

BUFF MINI PEKKA
MOVEMENT SPEED: 90 → 100
HIT SPEED 1.6s → 1.3s
DAMAGE 720 → 700
HEALTH 1361 → 1500