Work-in-progress Balance Changes - Clash Royale December 2022 (Season 42)

The monk doesn’t need that nerf 4 > 5.

That’s better for the phoenix, the monk maybe can get abbility to 2 elixer instead of 4 > 5 elixer

Monk and phoenix nerfs are good but rage seems to be broken
Suggestion : reduce damage of rage (not able to kill goblins) Or increase the elixir cost to 3

Bro supercell leave this poor bird alone😭 so much has happened to this poor thing. At least reduce the heath nerf. Also minion buff is useless remove

I hope this is a joke. Phoenix and Monk nerf are reasonable, but wth is this Goblin Hut change? Also Mighty Miner doesnt, or needs a much smaller buff. Rage rework is so random. And the amount of changes, what the heck. We wait 2 months to get balances for 7 cards? What about all the other stuff? Edrag, Wizard, Battle Healer, Rascals, Skeleton Barrel, Skeleton Dragons etc. ? After this crazy and horrible Phoenix-Monk meta, we should get better than that.

Rage rework should honestly involve a boost nerf, since the equation (hit speed * 7/20) is already giving annoying results. Maybe 25% boost instead of 35%?

I use Monk a ton. 4 elixir and he is not far off from a Knight with a push, but for 1 elixir you can take out wizard, musk, archers, etc. I think his ability should be 2 elixir and it is likely a balanced champion at that point.

Rage is the worst idea of this bunch. Forget zap or snowball. 2 elixir and you take out the best swarm defenses to these decks currently using rage. That card will be so OP! There has to be a middle ground. Increase the elixir cost. Lower the radius. Do not add damage or pushback. As it stands, rage will be added to many other decks like pekka bridge spam and graveyard decks.

1 Like

rage should not be able to hard-counter goblin barrel for a positive elixir trade. It should only do enough damage to kill bats and skellies. As compensation, you can increase the radius to 3.5

1 Like
  1. Rage shouldn’t one shot goblins, that’s too much imo.
  2. The problem with the monk is rather the ability than the troop itself. I think it should cost 4 elixir, and the ability 2 elixir instead of 1.
    These are my 2 biggest concerns, everything else seems ok. I do like the gobhut change.
2 Likes

RG was looking to be a problem even in the brief interval before Monk and Phoenix were added.

Please consider a minor HP nerf.

1 Like

Longtime F2P and sub 6,500 player voting here.

Why in god’s name a knock back for Rage? That makes no physical sense at all. And damage? Of all things that don’t need to be meddled with, Rage is the top of the list, second only to annoying beyond belief Goblin hut. Fundamentally SOME CARDS CAN BE NICHE. This is a fix in search of a problem. Nobody I have seen is complaining that they don’t see enough of a certain card, these “popularity” reworks are an epic fail across the board and please stop doing them. Evey one has been a massive botch. Stop. STOP. PLEASE. Thank you for your efforts, but PLEASE STOP.

Is there some reason things have to constantly be “reworked” and changed for no particular reason? It’s okay for a card to be niche (I’m going to specifically note Giant skeleton which got fiddled with months ago, died, got revised, still stunk, got revised again and is now more popular (and hence worse), I’m going to point at Prince and Dark prince jumping (which is ridiculous for a war horse with someone with full plate armor on but whatever. But for no cost change?And with no notice to the players that this change was coming? Come on do better than that.

I know that’s not the overall point here, but seriously. I can’t think of a balance change I agreed with, beyond any nerfs to pay to win Phoenix and Monk, those are all fine. Five star NO THANKS on rage rework, prince and dark prince as well, and giant skeleton, night witch, fire spirits and furnace.

As to the pay to win champions, fine. They are pay to win. I accept that. I’ll never get them maxed out, fine, I accept that, too. But what if they were Once per game, like clash of clans, or the ability was once per game, like boom beach? Or once per deploy. These cards get two abilities in one deploy and it’s basically all over. Check your data if you don’t believe me. I think you’ll see that any champion getting two abilities in a single deploy correlates strongly with a win for that player.

All of these champion cards derive considerably utility from the ability and are otherwise fairly normal to deal with (beyond that idiot golden knight being able to dash the entire arena from behind the tower crash into forty five things and kill them and then rebound onto a princess tower on the opposite side of the arena. Range limitation perhaps? If Golden knight has no target in range, maybe the ability should NOT work? Or there is a maximum range so dropping the ability behind the tower gets nothing useful? How it bounces is incredibly hard to predict and to my eyes, isn’t consistent.

Summary - NO on the goblin hut rework. No on rage rework, minions? No need. Phoenix and Monk - nerfs are just fine with me. I’ll never have them max level anyway, thus they are pretty useless to me, all that does is hurt any P2W opponents.

Other comments? The problem with MINER has always been that it has too much health, any other change has done nothing to the card. It’s primary function (these days) is to absorb the tower hits for something else. So when you look at miner it’s pointless to look at win rate for the miner in isolation. Your technique is flawed. Balancing “cards” is not the same as balancing the game, and you need to look at the performance of cards as they are used, not some simplistic win rate calculation popping from an API because it’s easy to track. Until you change methodology, the “fixes” will never fix any problems. This is why balance changes are never ending. Hire a mathematician or something. This approach is clearly flawed and not working.

3 Likes

My opinion on the WIP balance changes for December 2022, copied from Reddit:

They should just increase the Phoenix’s hit speed form 0.9 to 1.0 to lessen it’s ridiculously high DPS (for a single-unit air card that although is melee, can respawn), and make it less reliable against swarms. After all, it’s a melee troop; it’s supposed to have relatively high HP. It will make the meta favor Lightning as well, now that it dies to it.

Monk should just get his ability nerfed, so that the damage reduced would be 50% instead of 80%, and he will reflect back 50% instead of 100% of the damage (and 16.5~% instead of 33~% of spells) received from projectiles. This way the ability - which is the real problem - would be a lot less effective and the regular Monk - which isn’t worth 5 elixir - will stay the same, except maybe for the third hit, that I suggest have a 1.5 or even a 1.0 tile knock-back instead of the hefty 1.8.

The Minion cards aren’t very good, although I’m not sure about this change. In their current state, they already do a lot of damage. The problem is with them dying to Arrows, making the 3 elixir Arrows a hard counter to the 5 elixir Minion Horde. It’s not about dying to Arrows, but the reason they do, which is their low individual HP, making for a lot of combinatory counters to them, like E-Spirit & Fire Spirit for a +3 elixir trade -, which makes getting around them in certain matchups very easy. I don’t know if this is the right approach, but it’s certain they will keep being a high risk, high reward card with their fast movement speed and now even higher DPS, making them good for punishment. I think arrows will be prevalent in the meta as well. As for the deploy formation getting bigger, I’m not sure if it will apply to Minions as well, but I’m sure Minion Horde will benefit from it. As it is with Bats, having that bigger radius will save them against splash attackers like Baby Dragon (more efficient when surrounding it). I suggest the change will be applied to Minions if that’s not already the plan.

As for the Mighty, I really like his change. Ever since the HP nerf, he isn’t being seen very often. He doesn’t fit in a lot of decks anymore, since there are cards that outclass him with his lower HP, and his attack style can get him in a lot of trouble when resets are present. Before the nerf, he was prominent in high pressure and punishment decks, like Log-bait, Drill cycle, Recruits, Graveyard etc. due to his ability to melt enemy towers in seconds if left unanswered. As such, it is only fitting for him to more punishing, getting faster to the tower (if you watch Ryley, you’ll know the game-winning outplays you could make with the 1 elixir ability). It will be powerful in the hands of a good player.

Rage would be broken, being an instant spell that can fully kill Goblins (I don’t know if it’ll deal the damage instantly or gradually, but it’s gonna be OP); Lumberjack will benefit. I have no idea how the pushback would work. Really, really interesting change. InTeReStInG.

I don’t know about the Goblin Hut rework. Similar to the Barb Hut rework, It seems beneficial that the waves are more dense, having more fire-power for better defense & better offense, but splash attackers would absolutely destroy this card: Mother Witch, Magic Archer, Baby Dragon and such would render it almost obsolete for five elixir; also, a spawn frequency of 10s: 10 secs is a lot of time in between. I suggest moving it to 8s. I think the problem with the card is it’s HP. An increase in HP will make it more consistent for 5 elixir. I’m not even completely sure it will be better than the old one. That’s not a good sign. I can see it simply costing 4 instead of 5 elixir.

1 Like

I usually don’t like a lot of balance changes but I think all of these are pretty spot on except for the rage rework-

I think the rage could use a nerf on the radius because it’s absolutely broken on egolem healer decks and most phoenix or lumberloon decks and needs to make it a more high skill card.

But it shouldn’t have any pushback or damage at all cause that will make it so egolem and loon decks can clean up any small troops and rage up their win with just a rage when we all know raged egolem and raged loon is already borderline broken.

Rage with pushback and 275 damage will completely replace zap, snowball, log, and arrows cause it’s as cheap if not cheaper and will leave the rage after cleaning up small troops-

I can see this being way more broken that the phoenix and monk when they first dropped

1 Like

How does that rage rework make any sense? It Will be a zap which ONE-shots goblins+ raging units. As a player Using skarmy, goblin gang, bats & spear goblins, the Rage spel Will just kill it all for 2 elixir? What are you guys smoking?

1 Like

This all looks fine except rage, which looks absolutely terrible. Doing damage and pushback makes it straight-up a better card than snowball and is a huge indirect buff to goblin drill, gob giant, and golem, bridgespam, and miner control, which are already super toxic. If you feel you absolutely must remove duration upgrades, then make the speed boost change with upgrades instead.

1 Like

Also, where’s the poison/graveyard nerf? It’s overrepped and meshes too well with Phoenix and/or monk.

So you’re telling me that rage costs two elixir… It does enough damage to kill goblins… It has a push back and hits both ground and air units. All with the benefit of strengthening your own troops too.
Well then why in the world would anyone use log or zap over rage?

As for the champions, monk needs an ability nerf badly. It lasts unbearably long and, because of this, invalidates AQ completely as a defensive option.
GK could use an ability or HP nerf, but if you did that then GK would need an ability nerf as well, so it’s low-priority compared to monk.

agree ong with you, there is no point to use zap and snowball anymore, rage will become an ultimate small spell, because it drops down immediately as zap, and has pushback as snowball, and even kills goblins, in 90% situations rage will be better than snowball and zap. I think Supercell should buff zap and snowball instead, to compete with barbbarrel and log, especially after phoenix egg health nerf, which still doesn’t allow snowball and zap kill the egg.

Someone in the dev team must really hate goblin barrel since nothing above 0% usage rate seems to be enough.

goblin hut: okay, maybe it becomes little bit more viable but nobody wants spawner meta

rage: why? it will be S tier small spell after that, maybe on the same level with log, i understand that it will be harder to use in egolem healer pushes, but that’s not the way out, snowball and zap will be the worst spells in the game after that, there will be no point in using them, i think maybe you should give them some buffs too, especially after phoenix egg HP nerf which made barbbarrel and log strongest small spells in the game and almost took out snowball and zap of the meta

mighty miner: agree, it was the worst champion this season, but maybe he needed bigger buff, will see

minions/minion hord: agree, they deserved that, they already were bad before the update, and they became the worst cards in the meta with phoenix, definitely agree

phoenix: okay, i guess you will nerf it slowly untill it becomes balanced, i agree with that,
but also i want to see the dps nerf, or lava will still be out of the meta, dps is still crazy high for unit that hard to kill or kite, even after 6 elixir lightning u need to drop a 2 elixir if u have log/barbbarrel, if u haven’t u need to spend even more

monk: I don’t agree with that decision, maybe instead of making it 5 elixir, u can keep him 4 elixir but nerf his stats as a troop and nerf his ability, like:
as a troop:
third hit damage or pushback nerf;
hp -10% nerf, just the same as the golden knight, he became balanced champion after that
to ability:
make it 2 elixir, so u need to think if you want to spend it or not in certain situations;
damage reduction to 50% or lower, he definitely must die from pekka hits or raged ebarbs hits, he must die from things that every big tank dies, no doubt

1 Like