Work-in-progress Balance Changes - Clash Royale December 2022 (Season 42)

Horrible rework.

That’s similar to what I’ve offered to Supercell in the past balance changes. He really doesn’t worth his 5 elixir, finally he’ll be useful.

Awesome thinking.

1 Like

please do not buff minion horde, they already take dawn my ballon in 1 second(and please do a small buff to the balloon death damage)

1 Like

Rage might be broken. It will be able to fully counter gang, bats and skarmy immediately, pushback and make units faster. Something has to be done, I doubt anyone wants it.

1 Like

I really like the balance changes but I think golden knight needs a buff he has a really low use ad win rate it as a champion. It is only up right now because it often counters goblin gang and goblins not including its incomplete dash bug. I’ve played golden knight since 1 month after release and since the latest nerf it almost never gets value. You know how that 1 health gk always got those 1 or 2 swings on the tower but now it never connects I can only connect it with a tornado + gk ability but that costs 8 golden knight use to have 2660 health at lvl 14 but now it has 2394 and it is quiet fragile - 266 health so I’m not asking for a +266 health buff but a +133 to total at 2527 health at lvl 14 so it wont be op but it will be in the middle so it would be balanced. It could instead get a movement speed buff to fast the same as mighty miner because golden knight is dead. It is not special anymore its better to max out any other champion than gk because right now with how weak it is it is not worth to max anymore. It will still be almost as easy to counter him by just placing something up high but he will do live a bit longer just survive like 0.8 seconds more to get that 1 more swing . So please buff golden knight so it can just get a bit more usage or win rates go a bit up. Golden knight just needs a little buff not a massive one 133 health can balance golden knight from strong weak to in the middle to get more value from him more often Thank you for reading and Clash Royale please buff him to restore some of his power thank you.

1 Like

3% usage with a 45% win rate golden knight

1 Like

As much as I enjoy the other changes I want to explain why the changing Monk’s cost without any compensation is a bad idea and should be replaced by another change.

Royal Recruits are a good example of how substantial changing a troop’s elixir cost can be. They were comically overpowered a 6e, abysmal at 8e, and mediocre prior to their damage buff at 7e. Their emergency nerf was effectively a 33% decrease to their damage output and HP, and completely fell out of the meta not long after it took effect. Recruit’s non-existent usage after dropping to 7e proved that even a 16% cost increase (from 6e to 7e) proved to be a bit much.

While I’m by no means condoning Monk’s brokenness, which is very evident, I feel a different approach should be pursued over changing its elixir cost to 5.

I would easily support an elixir cost increase had it been more expensive, but a cost increase to 5, without any compensation, would be effectively a 25% decrease to its stats. While a bit of a stretch, it isn’t too far from recruits’ 33% value nerf back in 2018. It’s tough to predict a cards’ viability with such a major change, and I find that it should be addressed through its stats. This is also applicable to changing the costs for abilities, too.

I feel like they should address the ability’s most problematic elements rather than increase the ability or troop’s elixir cost. I’d drop his damage reduction multiplier from 80% to 50-60%, as he seems to barely take damage at all during his ability. OJ’s video illustrates why Monk’s damage reduction is problematic through his ability’s interactions with tiebreaker.

https://www.tiktok.com/@orangejuice/video/7163211512696589574?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7163211512696589574

Another nerf would be to reduce the damage reflected projectiles deal. Reflected projectiles deal the exact same damage they otherwise would (albeit AOE ones deal reduced tower damage). Since most ranged troops deal high damage, they are easily dispatched by the time Monk’s ability ends. Making reflected projectiles deal 70-80% of their original damage would be a good course of action since it’d enable most troops to live at least one extra shot from their own projectiles.

Alternatively, they can reduce his ability’s duration from 4 to 3sec, which has a similar effect while narrowing the time frame Monk can reflect spells and take less damage, making his ability more reliant on proper timing.

TL;DR: The slated nerf for Monk seems like more of a band-aid solution rather than an attempt to fix his most problematic elements. Since smaller numbers increase with larger percentages, changing a card’s elixir cost is too risky, especially for sub 5-cost troops and shouldn’t be the primary course of action. Royal Recruit’s balance change history is a good example that demonstrated the potential ramifications of this approach.

1 Like

my suggestion:
Rage spell boost= 35% to 30%
Monk:
Ability duration: 4-3 seconds
Ability cost: 1-2 elixir
Damage reduction:
80% to 60%

What are you talking about? Rage got buffed so hard. Thats not a nerf. It will be the best spell in the game by far… I mean a one shooting zap that rages your troops for 2 elixir wtf supercell xD

1 Like

The monk doesn’t need that nerf 4 > 5.

That’s better for the phoenix, the monk maybe can get abbility to 2 elixer instead of 4 > 5 elixer

Monk and phoenix nerfs are good but rage seems to be broken
Suggestion : reduce damage of rage (not able to kill goblins) Or increase the elixir cost to 3

Bro supercell leave this poor bird alone😭 so much has happened to this poor thing. At least reduce the heath nerf. Also minion buff is useless remove

I hope this is a joke. Phoenix and Monk nerf are reasonable, but wth is this Goblin Hut change? Also Mighty Miner doesnt, or needs a much smaller buff. Rage rework is so random. And the amount of changes, what the heck. We wait 2 months to get balances for 7 cards? What about all the other stuff? Edrag, Wizard, Battle Healer, Rascals, Skeleton Barrel, Skeleton Dragons etc. ? After this crazy and horrible Phoenix-Monk meta, we should get better than that.

Rage rework should honestly involve a boost nerf, since the equation (hit speed * 7/20) is already giving annoying results. Maybe 25% boost instead of 35%?

I use Monk a ton. 4 elixir and he is not far off from a Knight with a push, but for 1 elixir you can take out wizard, musk, archers, etc. I think his ability should be 2 elixir and it is likely a balanced champion at that point.

Rage is the worst idea of this bunch. Forget zap or snowball. 2 elixir and you take out the best swarm defenses to these decks currently using rage. That card will be so OP! There has to be a middle ground. Increase the elixir cost. Lower the radius. Do not add damage or pushback. As it stands, rage will be added to many other decks like pekka bridge spam and graveyard decks.

1 Like

rage should not be able to hard-counter goblin barrel for a positive elixir trade. It should only do enough damage to kill bats and skellies. As compensation, you can increase the radius to 3.5

1 Like
  1. Rage shouldn’t one shot goblins, that’s too much imo.
  2. The problem with the monk is rather the ability than the troop itself. I think it should cost 4 elixir, and the ability 2 elixir instead of 1.
    These are my 2 biggest concerns, everything else seems ok. I do like the gobhut change.
2 Likes

RG was looking to be a problem even in the brief interval before Monk and Phoenix were added.

Please consider a minor HP nerf.

1 Like

Longtime F2P and sub 6,500 player voting here.

Why in god’s name a knock back for Rage? That makes no physical sense at all. And damage? Of all things that don’t need to be meddled with, Rage is the top of the list, second only to annoying beyond belief Goblin hut. Fundamentally SOME CARDS CAN BE NICHE. This is a fix in search of a problem. Nobody I have seen is complaining that they don’t see enough of a certain card, these “popularity” reworks are an epic fail across the board and please stop doing them. Evey one has been a massive botch. Stop. STOP. PLEASE. Thank you for your efforts, but PLEASE STOP.

Is there some reason things have to constantly be “reworked” and changed for no particular reason? It’s okay for a card to be niche (I’m going to specifically note Giant skeleton which got fiddled with months ago, died, got revised, still stunk, got revised again and is now more popular (and hence worse), I’m going to point at Prince and Dark prince jumping (which is ridiculous for a war horse with someone with full plate armor on but whatever. But for no cost change?And with no notice to the players that this change was coming? Come on do better than that.

I know that’s not the overall point here, but seriously. I can’t think of a balance change I agreed with, beyond any nerfs to pay to win Phoenix and Monk, those are all fine. Five star NO THANKS on rage rework, prince and dark prince as well, and giant skeleton, night witch, fire spirits and furnace.

As to the pay to win champions, fine. They are pay to win. I accept that. I’ll never get them maxed out, fine, I accept that, too. But what if they were Once per game, like clash of clans, or the ability was once per game, like boom beach? Or once per deploy. These cards get two abilities in one deploy and it’s basically all over. Check your data if you don’t believe me. I think you’ll see that any champion getting two abilities in a single deploy correlates strongly with a win for that player.

All of these champion cards derive considerably utility from the ability and are otherwise fairly normal to deal with (beyond that idiot golden knight being able to dash the entire arena from behind the tower crash into forty five things and kill them and then rebound onto a princess tower on the opposite side of the arena. Range limitation perhaps? If Golden knight has no target in range, maybe the ability should NOT work? Or there is a maximum range so dropping the ability behind the tower gets nothing useful? How it bounces is incredibly hard to predict and to my eyes, isn’t consistent.

Summary - NO on the goblin hut rework. No on rage rework, minions? No need. Phoenix and Monk - nerfs are just fine with me. I’ll never have them max level anyway, thus they are pretty useless to me, all that does is hurt any P2W opponents.

Other comments? The problem with MINER has always been that it has too much health, any other change has done nothing to the card. It’s primary function (these days) is to absorb the tower hits for something else. So when you look at miner it’s pointless to look at win rate for the miner in isolation. Your technique is flawed. Balancing “cards” is not the same as balancing the game, and you need to look at the performance of cards as they are used, not some simplistic win rate calculation popping from an API because it’s easy to track. Until you change methodology, the “fixes” will never fix any problems. This is why balance changes are never ending. Hire a mathematician or something. This approach is clearly flawed and not working.

3 Likes

My opinion on the WIP balance changes for December 2022, copied from Reddit:

They should just increase the Phoenix’s hit speed form 0.9 to 1.0 to lessen it’s ridiculously high DPS (for a single-unit air card that although is melee, can respawn), and make it less reliable against swarms. After all, it’s a melee troop; it’s supposed to have relatively high HP. It will make the meta favor Lightning as well, now that it dies to it.

Monk should just get his ability nerfed, so that the damage reduced would be 50% instead of 80%, and he will reflect back 50% instead of 100% of the damage (and 16.5~% instead of 33~% of spells) received from projectiles. This way the ability - which is the real problem - would be a lot less effective and the regular Monk - which isn’t worth 5 elixir - will stay the same, except maybe for the third hit, that I suggest have a 1.5 or even a 1.0 tile knock-back instead of the hefty 1.8.

The Minion cards aren’t very good, although I’m not sure about this change. In their current state, they already do a lot of damage. The problem is with them dying to Arrows, making the 3 elixir Arrows a hard counter to the 5 elixir Minion Horde. It’s not about dying to Arrows, but the reason they do, which is their low individual HP, making for a lot of combinatory counters to them, like E-Spirit & Fire Spirit for a +3 elixir trade -, which makes getting around them in certain matchups very easy. I don’t know if this is the right approach, but it’s certain they will keep being a high risk, high reward card with their fast movement speed and now even higher DPS, making them good for punishment. I think arrows will be prevalent in the meta as well. As for the deploy formation getting bigger, I’m not sure if it will apply to Minions as well, but I’m sure Minion Horde will benefit from it. As it is with Bats, having that bigger radius will save them against splash attackers like Baby Dragon (more efficient when surrounding it). I suggest the change will be applied to Minions if that’s not already the plan.

As for the Mighty, I really like his change. Ever since the HP nerf, he isn’t being seen very often. He doesn’t fit in a lot of decks anymore, since there are cards that outclass him with his lower HP, and his attack style can get him in a lot of trouble when resets are present. Before the nerf, he was prominent in high pressure and punishment decks, like Log-bait, Drill cycle, Recruits, Graveyard etc. due to his ability to melt enemy towers in seconds if left unanswered. As such, it is only fitting for him to more punishing, getting faster to the tower (if you watch Ryley, you’ll know the game-winning outplays you could make with the 1 elixir ability). It will be powerful in the hands of a good player.

Rage would be broken, being an instant spell that can fully kill Goblins (I don’t know if it’ll deal the damage instantly or gradually, but it’s gonna be OP); Lumberjack will benefit. I have no idea how the pushback would work. Really, really interesting change. InTeReStInG.

I don’t know about the Goblin Hut rework. Similar to the Barb Hut rework, It seems beneficial that the waves are more dense, having more fire-power for better defense & better offense, but splash attackers would absolutely destroy this card: Mother Witch, Magic Archer, Baby Dragon and such would render it almost obsolete for five elixir; also, a spawn frequency of 10s: 10 secs is a lot of time in between. I suggest moving it to 8s. I think the problem with the card is it’s HP. An increase in HP will make it more consistent for 5 elixir. I’m not even completely sure it will be better than the old one. That’s not a good sign. I can see it simply costing 4 instead of 5 elixir.

1 Like